Monday, November 21, 2005

Letter for Project 1 (block sculpture)

Dear Asvin,

I am an artist who will be exhibiting at 200 Gertrude Street Gallery in mid January 2006. The gallery is closed during this period and the space has traditionally been used as a window display for the Midsumma festival. As part of the project I am creating a space that will be used exclusively in the reflection of queer identity within a studio practice. The project will transform the space from a window display to a more private space that only queer people will utilise. There will be many activities planned for the space – most having a community of queers collaborating on a craft project. The projects currently proposed for this space are: a poster design workshop for activist queers; a reading group and a celebratory collaborative paper sculpture made by gay and lesbian youth. I am writing to enquire as to whether your organisations might be able to help out with the later project.

The art project is one that asks each participant to design or think about a building block made out of paper. During a short conversation I gather the particular dimensions and qualities (colour, scale, texture etc) that the participant would like to see in their block. I then take this information away and make multiple copies of each of these blocks. The group then gets together and assembles their building blocks into one sculpture. At this stage the group must decide how they will work together as a group to complete the task. The task is a fun activity; creates/reinforces close bonds; allows participants to reflect on a particular issue in an abstracted manner and can be easily integrated within a gay and lesbian youth program.

I have previously completed this task within an artistic and pedagogic (Year 7 and 10) environment. In April 2005 I exhibited an example of this work in the artist-run space CLUBSproject Inc. - this was entitled LUMINOUS FOUNTAIN WORK with Andrea Maksimovic, Spiros Panigirakis, David Prater, Sarah Roberts, Dominic Redfern and Jonathan Symons. An example of this work can be seen on http://www.clubsproject.org.au/previous2005.php and through the files I have attached. The finished sculpture’s title incorporates the participant’s names – thus allowing them to be credited for the work. Of course due to the potentially sensitive nature of exposed participation – I would respect any one’s need for anonymity. I will also provide all participants with photographic documentation of the finished work.

Just to provide some other information that might be relevant to your organisations – I am a qualified and practising Art and Technology secondary school teacher and have registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching. I also have a current police check that is valid through the VIT. I have also provided you with an art CV.

Due to the time frame of the project I will need some feedback for my proposal reasonably soon. The project only needs two dates to be locked down – one date where I collect the information and another after mid January where we assemble the blocks. Of course the project space can be used for other functions that your youth programs require. I am flexible with the age group that I work with but at this stage would prefer to work with youth under the age of 18. The project works with a group that ranges from 6 – 15 participants - but again this is also a flexible number. I look forward to talking to you both and answering any questions you might have.

Yours sincerely,

Spiros Panigirakis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home