Thursday, January 05, 2006

Poster Ideas for Mark

Hi Mark,

Just getting back to you with some preliminary ideas for the poster. I have come up with 4 ideas for the general conceptual framework. These are by no means fixed or rendered in any finished manner and are just starting off points. Yours is the poster I started off with and was confronted by the need to represent something very literally, when I am accustomed to being quite abstract and some would say obtuse in my visual representations. So I have swung the other way and gone with some cheesy clichés in a way – hopefully I have flipped them a bit. I am also working within a very illustrative framework as I am thinking ahead with how I would render the posters with blocks of texta and coloured paper.

1. The Detention Centre: This probably isn’t the design or text I would be going for in the finished version. Probably quite a graphic close-up of barbed wire would be enough. The accompanying text is meant to be a ‘queer eye for straight guy’ type of conversation between two inmates – probably the clumsiest option. Maybe something about navy never going with black would be more apt fashion advice. (???)

2. The hanging: There would be interesting incongruent quality between the serious image and the whimsical illustrative method it would be rendered in.

3. This a fishing vessel in Mardi gras float drag. Ignore the text, as it’s just explanatory as the thumbnail sketch is quite vague. Essentially trying to communicate that refugees arriving in this country don’t need be sailing on a float to gain refugee status on the basis of homo persecution. 4. A bland Lego-type guy (I was thinking of a figure with no overt pop-cultural baggage) being knocked back from a “market; type of night-club called (Aust) ralia. My thinking this scenario is all about prejudice, surfaces and fickle nature of representation that is required by the refugee review tribunal. I don’t know about this one.

It would be great to get some feedback – brief and blunt will do. Either on the blog (with-out.blogspot.com or more privately via email is all fine.) I understand it’s summer and there’s a lot of relaxing that needs doing.

Hope things are going well

Best,

Spiros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home